AS 85000: 2011 and Pharmacy Cold Chain ManagementENLAKE
To assist in maintaining an effective cold chain, the following steps should be observed on receival of vaccines:
• Ensure a staff member is designated as the administrator of vaccines and vaccine storage, with a back-up administrator, to take responsibility for vaccines in the absence of the primary administrator.
• Check the dispatch date and cold chain monitors (if used). If the delivery has taken more than three days, or the monitor indicates that the cold chain has not been maintained, accept the delivery and contact your State/Territory health authorities and/or the manufacturer/supplier for privately purchased vaccines.
• If cold chain monitors have not been used, check that the freezer blocks or ice blocks are still partially frozen. If they have fully thawed the vaccines should not be used.
• Leave the vaccines in their individual packaging. This will protect the vaccines from the light and reduce the effect of being exposed to room temperature.
• Move the vaccines to the vaccine refrigerator as soon as possible. Place new vaccines to the back of the vaccine fridge, and move older stock forward.